Hot and Cold Stone Massage Training (Geo-thermotherapy)
What is Hot & Cold Stone Massage?
Blood vessels will rise to the surface and dilate when the hot stone is applied and then vessels will constrict and move blood back to the inner core muscles when cold is applied. The opening and closing of the blood vessels causes a pumping action within the circulatory system which brings in more blood to the lungs and heart. It’s pretty much a vascular gymnastics for the body. It allows the body to achieve the same level of relaxation and rejuvenation as going to a sauna and jumping in the plunge pool but with the benefit of a massage included.
Cold therapy, is now often known as cryotherapy and it works on the principal of heat exchange. This occurs when a cooler object is placed in direct contact with an object of warmer temperature. The cooler object will absorb the heat of the warmer object in an attempt to achieve balance. Many sports therapists/physio’s are utilizing the power of cold stones/tools to assist them in their treatments and many just use cold stones throughout the treatment without using hot stones at all.
Massaging and alternating the hot and cold stones helps every cell in the body to receive more oxygen and nutrients and moves lymph thereby encouraging a more effective removal of toxins.
Receiving a hot and cold stone massage can bring the benefits and pleasures of combining both. The combination of the hot and cold stones are extremely relaxing and clients often can’t tell the difference between the hot and cold when performed by a skilled therapist.
Benefits of Hot Stone Massage
- Allows a deeper massage in a less intrusive way
- Aids relief of back and general body aches and pains
- Reduces stress anxiety and tension
- The stones work on heating the body throughout the entire treatment
- Sedates the central nervous system
- Increases blood supply to the skin and muscles.
- Moves blood and lymph allowing the body to remove waste in a more efficient manner.
- Improves poor circulation
- Aids the release of muscular aches, pains, sprains and strains
- Eases rheumatic and arthritic conditions, fibromyalgia, MS
- Assists insomnia and helps lift depression
- Increases flexibility by relaxing connective tissue
- Increases metabolism and elimination
- Vasodilatation of capillaries
- PH becomes more alkaline
Benefits of Using Cold Stones
- Dispersal of tissue metabolism/congestion
- Alleviation of swelling
- Increases muscular tone
- Aids in reducing swelling and treating work, sporting and other accidents by helping to release blood in the affected area.
- Decreases muscle spasms
- Excellent pain relief with sore & damaged muscles
- Stimulation of the autonomic nervous system
- Increases tissue metabolism
- Revitalises and rejuvenates body parts
- Soothes irritation
- Cools down the body on a warm day or during hot flushes.
- Ease Menstrual Symptoms.
- Boost Circulation: Increases blood pressure & Heart Rate
- Refreshes and stimulates the mind
- Peripheral vascular constriction. (Restricts the blood supply to areas & pushes it away from an area that was previously flooded with blood.
- Produces an analgesic effect. (The body releases a natural pain relief substance (Prostaglandin) into the muscle when cold is applied)
- Decreases edema
Some facial benefits include
- Reducing puffy eyes
- Relieving tired eyes
- Lowering sinus pressure (It is important to place a protective cloth underneath the stone, before placing cold stones on top of a client’s face).
Learn Hot & Cold Stone Massage
That’s Better teaches you the theory and practical experience to complete a full 90 min Sacred Stone hot stone massage incorporating cold stones, breath-work and healing.
Book a Massage Training Course
Lomi Lomi, Hot & Cold Stone, Reiki, Indian Head Massage and more..